Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Portrait

In the process of making this drawing I had to trace out all of the different values from a photo onto tracing paper. After I traced it I had to imprint my drawing from the tracing paper to my sketchbook. Then I had to shade in all the shapes and add all the value by looking at my 9step value chart and comparing them.
 
While I was doing this I had to find different values in the photo. I did this by comparing different values on the picture with the values on my value chart.
 
I used lots of different values because I had to to make the hair look realistic. I did this by applying pressure to my pencil or letting off pressure for light colors. I think the shading turned out well but some of the hair is a bit too dark.
 
I believe i made this neatly and there aren't any outlines on the picture just different shades that fade. I think I did the project correctly and made it look surprisingly well for the first black and white portrait I've done. I think it also looked really different from normal drawings of people.
 
I think the hardest thing about this picture was the hair because of the thousands of strands of hair and how much different shades there were. Another obstacle I had was the fact of blending all of the shapes together cleanly and making it look realistic and have the light reflecting just right and the shading around the eyes. I had lots of small problems durring this project but they were easy to overcome and I actually enjoyed doing this project and I think it turned out really good

No comments:

Post a Comment